The Doncaster Omnibus & Light Railway Society was formed in 1958 by a group of local transport enthusiasts who would regularly congregate for trips to locomotive and bus depots and for slide shows at members’ homes. The potential of this informal group was recognised in 1963, when Doncaster Corporation’s Transport Department entrusted the town’s “last trolleybus”, No. 375 to the society’s care. Since then, four Doncaster motorbuses have also been presented to us by the local transport authority, and a fifth has been donated to us by one of our members.
Shortly after receiving the trolleybus, the society became involved with the creation of the Sandtoft Transport Centre, which over the years has become an established working trolleybus museum. This project and also the restoration and preservation of our vehicles are now the primary concerns of the society.