London 1348 - Click for a larger photo

London 1348
(EXV348)

Chassis: Leyland LPTB70
Chassis No:  
Motor: MetroVick MV206A9
Bodywork: Leyland H40/30R
Length: 30ft
Width: 7ft 6in
Body Number:  
Unladen Weight:  
Entered Service: 1939
Withdrawn: July 1961
Owner: Transport Museum Society of Ireland, on 25-year loan to The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft
EU Cookie Law Script 1

This site uses cookies for internal use only and are not used for any other reason nor are they shared anywhere. This message will no longer display after you have clicked 'Accept'.


Accept         More Information

Brief History

The trolleybuses for London were designed and built specifically to be worthy tram replacements. Like the trams, they were large high-capacity double deckers, with rapid acceleration. All but one had three axles (necessary for licensing at the time as they were 30 feet long), and were much quieter in operation than contemporary trams or diesel buses. Trolleybuses were built on AEC, Leyland and British United Traction chassis.

Apart from the Diddlers and a few experimental vehicles, most London trolleybuses were near-identical. There was an exception: in 1941 and 1943 London Transport acquired 43 trolleybuses that had been ordered for South Africa but could not be shipped there because of the war. These vehicles were allocated to Ilford depot. They formed three different classes and needed special dispensation because they were eight feet wide, six inches more than the law allowed.

Some later pre-war vehicles made use of modern monocoque construction techniques to produce chassisless bodies, where the mechanical and electrical parts, including the traction motors, are affixed to the bodywork and not to a separate chassis.

One experimental vehicle was proposed to be the forerunner of a fleet that would use the Kingsway tramway subway, but the change of policy after the war meant that this was never carried out.

1348 was a member of the London Transport K2 class - Leyland chassis, Metropolitan Vickers motor and English Electric control equipment. It entered service in June 1939 on the north London routes from Lea Bridge depot. Withdrawn in July 1961 it was stored for some time, until acquired by the Transport Museum Society of Ireland. Unfortunately due to a shortage of undercover accommodation it was kept outside for many years. Placed on long-term loan to the Trolleybus Museum in 2010, 1348 has been restored to 1939 condition.

This vehicle runs regularly at the Museum.

 

Go Back   Back to Trolleybuses

Plan your visit...

«   June   »
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

The museum is operated entirely by volunteers and is open on selected days only. Click on the highlighted dates in the calendar or

 View our Open Days Page 

for details of what is scheduled for any one open day. You can also view full details of our facilities and attractions.

The Trolleybus Museum
Belton Road, Sandtoft, Doncaster
North Lincolnshire, DN8 5SX

AMPLE FREE PARKING
for cars and coaches

CMS Produced by Peter ShortCopyright 2015 - 20 - The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft